Select Page

Essential Options in Case of Derby Shoes

Essential Options in Case of Derby Shoes

They were born in the nineteenth century as footwear for sports and hunting activities. And, even today, they continue to maintain that versatile air that makes them perfect for casual and smart-casual looks. The multiple versions of derby shoes lead us to show 3 ways to wear them.

With a suit

A leather derby will always be a safe value and more, when we talk about wearing them with a suit. The masculine and classic lines of this shoe make it timeless.


In 3 ways to wear derby shoes we are going to take these shoes to another level. Pair them with a tweed blazer, chinos and the chocolate brown touch of the Nublo belt to keep the look contemporary and dynamic.


In its many versions, derby shoes can be perfectly combined with jeans, the Famara belt and, to make the more informal alternative perfect, wear the derbies in suede.

Many people know the difference, especially shoe lovers. But sometimes the less knowledgeable public does not know (or knew at the time, but does not remember) what the difference is between an Oxford and a Derby shoe. Are some of them to dress and the others not? Why are they called that? Here we answer all those questions.

It is very simple, indeed, to distinguish Oxford from Derby. The difference is that the part where the eyelets for the laces are, the sides of the uppers, in Oxford is sewn internally, forming a single piece, while in Derby it would go on the outside, allowing the shoe to open more.

This simple nuance classifies lace-up shoes in one category or another. In general, an Oxford shoe is considered more of a dress than a Derby one, because they are usually more stylish and elegant, more appropriate to wear with a suit at parties, weddings, etc. The Derby would be something more informal. But it is not ruled out to wear a black Derby, for example, to go to the daily office. In the end, as always, the shoe must convey sensations.

Finally the origin of the name?

It seems that the Oxford owe their name to the English university, whose students popularized them a couple of centuries ago although its origin seems more Irish and Scottish. The Derbys seem (they are always guesses and legends, but this version we like) that they come from the Prussian army of the early 19th century.

In 90% of the cases, good quality and high quality shoes are made from the skin of the following three animals: calf (bull), pig and goat. The remaining 10% are exclusive and exotic shoes. The most resistant calf leather is suitable for the most adverse climatic conditions. Its thickness is 1.8 – 2.5 mm. The possible disadvantages include the presence of many small defects from insect bites and the like on the skin.

Advertise With Us

Email Subscription

Subscribe Our Newsletter